Thursday, July 10, 2008

E.R.Visit


I guess I spoke too soon. Or maybe I jinxed myself. I should have knocked on wood! I took Lachlan to the E.R. last night. He is just fine, so don't be alarmed. He had a high fever for 2 days and his fontanel (soft spot) was bulging. I thought that was a bit strange, so I googled it online and everything I read said meningitis or encephalitis. There was no other reason (besides shaken baby syndrome) for a swollen fontanel. So I got a little concerned and still thought, I'm sure he's fine. He doesn't have any other symptoms. But I called a nice man in our ward who is a GP and he advised me to take him to the E.R. right away. That got me a little alarmed. but he was behaving so normal, smiling and playing and eating great. I thought there can't possibly be anything wrong with him. I called a few nurses and my mom and they all said take him in! So I did. The ER doc came in and said, this guy looks like a million bucks! Why is he in here? So we did a CBC and they said he looked great, everything was normal and just to keep an eye on him. I was quite relieved that they didnt' do a lumbar puncture ( spinal tap) because I've heard those are very unpleasant and risky too. The blood draw was bad enough on the poor little guy. I'm thankful he is ok, and that I only had to pay $100 for the ER visit and then whatever the lab work costs, but as much as I would like to think, sheesh, I didnt' need to go do that, you really don't want to take any chances with meningitis. All the staff were very wonderful at the Meridian St. Lukes E.R. night shift. We got home about 12:30 am and Lachlan's fever seems to have diminished and you hardly notice his "bump" at all. Thanks for all the prayers!

2 comments:

Russell & Jammie said...

Thanks Goodness! Weren't we just talking about this? I am glad that it was nothing and that he is happy and healthy. Always better safe than sorry when it comes to that kind of stuff. Wise decision to take him in.

Suzanne said...

Man that sounds so scary! It's hard to know sometimes isn't it? It's better safe than sorry. Poor kid, doesn't sound fun what ever he had!

Love ya,Suz