Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tithes and Offerings

So every month I pay my tithing without a thought. It is just a habit, like brushing your teeth. I know some people have a hard time with it, but it's not one of my struggles. However, when it comes to paying fast offerings, I never know how much to pay. I've heard the guidelines "two meals' worth" but that would hardly be anything at our house, even if we ate out, cuz we never spend more than $25 when we eat out. I've also heard the adage, "if it doesn't pinch, it's not a true offering". I know you will be blessed for any offering you make, but is there anyone who can give me some guidelines to have a better idea of what to pay? I want to be generous, but I also am confused about what you should pay when you can't pay your own bills? Doe anyone have any suggestions? I keep thinking of the widow's mite, she gave all she had, but do you 'rob Peter to pay Paul'? Aren't I obligated to pay my bills before I can make an offering? You can reply anonymously if you desire.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I think when you can't pay your bills, you should pay "2 meals worth" , because that IS a pinch. If you have an abundance of money, go out to eat every week, and waist money on non-essentials, I would say you should pay a lot more. I know the dilemma, and just do what feels right. I guess as long as I am contributing 2 meals worth, I am following the commandment. Right?

williamsfam5 said...

The Letter of the Law is for people who don't know what to do otherwise. If I paid 2 meals worth it would be close to nothing, even when we eat out we go for the dollar menu and feed our family of 5 for just under $6.
Pay what you want. You're intentions are right and that's what matters.

wannabee free said...

You're right. thanks for sharing your opinions. Em, Family of 5? I thought you only had 2 little girls? And when I said eat out, I mean actually go to a restauarant like on a birthday or anniversary.

Unknown said...

I say pay what makes you feel good. (Even if it makes you feel bad, if you know what I mean.)

Or in other words, pay what you feel is right. It's between you and Abram and God. It doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Anonymous said...

Every time my husband has received a raise, a better job or finished a degree, we've upped the amount we pay to fast offerings. As poor students, we payed about $10. Now that we're making about $58,000 we pay $50. Our monthly food budget is $400 for a family of six.

As an act of faith, when we were potty-training my four year old son, we took the money that we were going to spend on Pull-ups for the month and put all it into fast offerings. He was out of fully potty trained within weeks.