Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Green & Orange Minestrone

Just to relieve all of your tension, the propane truck did come this afternoon. Phew! I've got the dishwasher running and am scheduled for family bath time tonight.
I know you're all going to be disappointed that I'll try not to focus all my posts on scrumptious desserts from now on. Here is a healthy dinner recipe for you. This is one I've been making for a few years now and my family and friends have all approved it. This is the recipe straight from the book, but modify it as you like. If your family doesn't love spinach, maybe use one package of spinach instead of two and up the amount of carrots. This is great for antioxidant power and per serving you get: calories:245, fat:5.5g, sat. fat: .8g, chol: 1.3 mg, sodium: 739 mg, dietary fiber: 7.8 g, beta carotene: 11 mg, vitamin C: 51 mg, calcium: 258 mg, iron: 5.8 mg. Enjoy

Green & Orange Minestrone
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup diced carrots
two 10 oz pkgs chopped, frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chicken broth diluted with 1 cup water
1/2 cup very small pasta shapes
1 cup canned chick-peas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 TB plus 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese

heat oil over med-hi heat, add garlic & onion, cook 1 min.. stir in carrot cook 2 min.. add spinach, sugar, basil, oregano, salt. and stir to coat. stir in broth, bring to boil. stir in pasta cook til tender. Add the chick-peas, and tomatoes, cook just til heated through. Stir in fresh basil and sprinkle with parmesan.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I would love to see a picture! I will have to try this out, because I like to try new recipes and get tired of my same old ones