Thursday, September 18, 2008

Arachnids

this week we have been reading about arachnids. Did you know that daddylonglegs is not a spider? It is an arachnid, but it does not spin webs and it does not have two body parts (cephelothorax & abdomen) that other spiders have. There are over 7,000 species of daddylonglegs! Who took the time to count? :) Also, I did not know that was their official name. I thought it was a name kids called them. Like Roly Poly. Arachnids are quite interesting . The jumping spider is a really fun one. If you get the chance, check out some books about them.
Aisling has been gone this week on a trip with her grandma & grandpa. She would be happy as a clam if Abram & I keeled over dead so she could live with them permanently. (At least til she got older and came to her senses) She thinks life is All about Having Fun! When I tried to explain to her that life isn't all about having fun, she said, "well, having fun is the BEST part of life!" It has been much quieter and calmer here without her, but I do miss her. The other girls just werent' as excited about the projects like she always is. We made masks to have a Wild Rumpus (see Where The Wild Things Are) and they just did not get into it like she would.
Rowan came & got in bed with me sometime around 5 am I think. Then started gagging around 6. She dry heaved a bunch over the sink, but nothing came. I remembered she hadn't eaten much of her dinner. It sems that Brenna has done that a few times, where she got sick because she had an empty stomach. Have your kids ever done that? She ate a big bowl of cereal and has been fine ever since. That is one of the worst feelings, when you're sleeping soundly in your bed and a child next to you starts to throw up, you know the next minute you're going to be covered in you- know- what! You panic, scrambling to get them out of the bed, but you don't want them to throw up on the carpet, and still half asleep... you'll probably hit your head on the door, trip over the doll she dropped there when she crawled in bed with you, slip on the wet floor from your husband showering and not wiping his feet on the rug and end up laying in barf anyway. I should write one of those Laura Numeroff books, like If You give A Mouse A Cookie, only it would be a little bit different!
We are going to have an empty house after this weekend. No, not the one we live in, but our Boise house. So now we have two houses to clean up and get ready to put on the market. Obviously we'd rather sell this big expensive one first, but whatever. If either of them sells, it will just reduce our stress. We recently looked in on a house we had really liked a couple years ago, but at the time it was a brand new house and listed at $500,000. Well, it never sold and it is now listed at $369,000. that is exciting, but it is also discouraging. It is a really beautiful home with wonderful craftmanship, but it is still a lot of money, and what does that mean for us trying to sell our two homes? We can only wait and see.
Abram signed us up for a one-disc-at-a-time netflix membership which I'm still not very happy about. I feel like watching movies is kind of a waste of time when we already have too many things to do with our time. Anyway, this has enabled us to watch all sorts of movies that we probably would never have seen. None that I really feel like I am SO glad! I got to see that. Most of them were more like, I could've lived my life without having seen that. One we watched that we did enjoy was Lars and The Real Girl. Now, we are not the normal movie types. We like unique films that make you think, not the ones you sit back and laugh at the mindless, crude humor. So the disclaimer is that most people might not like this film. It has some very uncomfortable scenes.. very awkward I should say. I guess it is worse for guys to watch then girls. If you have seen it, tell me what you thought!
What is your favorite movie, and the one you thought was incredibly a waste of time?

5 comments:

Carley said...

We loved Lars and the Real Girl. I like movies that make you think and that you get a life moral out of! Hope the house you like is closer to ours!!

wannabee free said...

carley,
we wouldn't spend that much on a house. that would be crazy!!
We should get together though, before thanksgiving!

Jessica said...

I can't believe you have to deal with selling that other house! I thought you sold it to your parents? Are you getting ready to put your big house on the market too?
You sure know a lot about spiders! Your kids are going to be so smart!

kirstikoo said...

Hey! I don't know why your comments didn't get sent to me, but I have accepted and published all that I've received. I did get your two today, so feel free to go on and try again. Winner of the last giveaway was revealed on my family blog where I posted the giveaway. I also emailed everyone who left an email address in their comment. I'm doing another diaperdoo giveaway with sherbet blossom: http://sherbetblossom.blogspot.com/
Feel free to enter!!

Amanda said...

I love movies that make you think. Some of my favorites are The Age of Innocence, The House of Sand and Fog, The Stepford Wives, and The Shawshank Redemption.