Monday, September 8, 2008

Losing My Touch

This weekend I made brownies to take to a function. But I didn't have 2 eggs like the recipe calls for on the box. So I tried that substitution of 2 TBS oil and 1 TBS water for 2 eggs. I guess it doesn't work for mixes. The water mixed in to the powder, but when I pulled the pan out after baking, the oil had separated and there was about 1 inch puddle of oil sitting on top of this gooey mess. So weird! I also made a huckleberry pie with the remaining huckleberries we picked. I used a fake crust (ok, not a fake one, but a frozen pre-made one) and made a crumb topping. It seemed underbaked. It was like huckleberry soup. Maybe we needed to let it cool first. It feels so strange to me to have my desserts not turn out. I'm not a pro, but I usually have good success with my sweets. I did make no bake cookies on Tuesday, and they turned out just fine. Maybe there is hope.
Does anyone else feel tied to the house because of nap schedules? Afternoons are out of the question, and mornings really should be off limits too. But when can a mother of a 2 yr old and a baby run errands and go to the park and do all the fun things mothers with young children are supposed to do? Wish I could afford a nanny to stay home with the sleeping one(s) sometimes.
Whch reminds me. What do you pay your babysitter? I've never gotten a sitter because I don't know what to pay one. (oh and the fact that we don't go out hardly ever)

2 comments:

Melonie said...

I've tried the egg substitution before and have not had success with it! I'll bet you do great when you actually have all the right ingredients to your recipe! sounds like you need a little time away from the kids. Try sending Aisling on a daddy daughter date. The individual attention will do her some good. Lily is extremely energetic and attention demanding sometimes. I realize when I take the time to meet her attention needs, she does a little better playing by herself after wards.

Jessica said...

Somehow you have to just devote either morning or afternoon to nap time. I wish I could afford a nanny too! Good luck with the desserts. You can have eggs from me anytime you need some!!