Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Carolling

Tonight we drove around a bit while Abram was checking out a Black Hawk Helicoptor with the Young Men. The kids and I checked out some Christmas lights and sang a few Christmas songs. The girls don't know many yet, and it was funny to hear some of the words they sang. For instance, "Frosting the Snowman!"
And "then how the reindeer loved him, and they shouted out with fleas! Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, you'll go down in mysteries!"
We saw a house with a big blow-up Santa riding a motorcycle. Aisling said, "that must be a dude's house." Clearly, only "Dude's" have santas on harleys.

My friend Nicole helped me (she actually did it for me) make a superhero cape for my nephew. It is a very smooth, shiny red fabric that is just awesome for a superhero. Now it just needs a shield shape and a giant S sewn on. Aisling decided Sam (the nephew) will probably like it, even though it is a girl color. Funny coming from the girl whose favorite color is blue.

We finally got to see Prince Caspian and I think that actor is quite cute. He or Peter would've made a better Edward (Twilight) in my opinion. But what can I say? I still haven't seen the movie. Personally I don't like the appearance of Anna Popplewell who plays Susan, and I don't care for her character either. I really didn't like the eyeliner job they did on her for the film. That's me, the new film critic. I thought it was pretty good, not too scary or overly violent. The kids liked it.

I have been reading a biography about John Adams and have loved it. I'm more than half way through, around 500 pages so far. I hadn't done any studying on our founding fathers until this year. I did a bit of study on George Washington and everyone loves and respects him. Did you know he didn't take any pay while he was general or president? I have also gained the most profound respect for John Adams. He was incorruptible. How would you like to see one like that nowadays? After this I want to find out more about Thomas Jefferson. The biographer paints him in a not too kindly light and I'd like to see if I can get another perspective. In this book, really the only good contribution he gave us was wording the Declaration. In my mind that isn't enough to earn him the fame and honor he has received. John Adams really was a singular man and should be more loudly lauded and held as an example to ourselves and our children of the kind of people we would want to aspire to be. I have had a quote of his on my wall for the last 3 years. It says, "Let them revere nothing but religion, morality and liberty." This was a standard he held for his own children, and for himself. Jefferson is quoted as having said many wonderful, true and inspiring things. Unfortunately, according to this source, he wasn't able to muster the self-discipline to live his beliefs. I'm not judging the man personally, just that we as a nation honor someone who might not be so worthy of it. I'll look into it and get back to you.

No comments: