Friday, August 15, 2008

The Busy Last Days of Summer Break


Today was the last day of swimming lessons. The girls did a great job. I was a bit disappointed in Brenna's class. I felt Brenna was ready for more than what they did. But maybe the rest of the kids weren't ready. Brenna got to go off the slide into the water and she went twice and wanted to go more. Only one other kid went off it and he had to be coaxed for about 10 minutes before he actually slipped and went down the slide. Brenna had a great time.
Aisling really amazed me today. She went off the HIGH dive! She told me on Wed. that she was going to do it. I guess I should feel bad to say I didn't believe her. I honestly thought she would get up there, stand up there for about 10 minutes and then turn around. There is no disgrace in that. But I really thought she would be too scared. This is my girl who just recently started playing on fast food playgrounds. She was always too scared! She gets scared walking on uneven ground, reflective floors or anything with gaps. I was amazed she made it up the ladder! She just walked very carefully to the edge, looked down and jumped! No hesitating! Incredible! I thought she was awesome. I don't think I jumped off any diving board 'til I was in my late teens. :)
Last night we had our annual "august birthday party", something we've been doing forever. We originally had 4 august birthdays and then when we started having kids of our own, the number grew to 9. We had a terrific time thanks to my sister for putting together the T. Family Water olympics, complete with opening and closing ceremonies, medals and lots of water. She is already scheming for next year's celebration.
We had delicious mexican food, a T. family favorite. I was given a wonderful sweet pork recipe with a refreshing and tasty tomatillo dressing recipe. I made that last night for the party and I think it was well received. Just email me for the recipe.

I also received instruction and supplies to make these fabulous hair flower clips. Wow!


Today the kids got to attend their monthly service project party. It is a wonderful group hosted by a sweet lady in our ward, Amity H. She comes up with the neatest ideas. This month we made edible flower arrangements. Aisling gave hers away at the party, but Brenna's recipient wasn't home when we stopped by. They were very easy and a delightful gift to give or receive.

My adorable little boy is exhausting me. I need some ideas. He is up a LOT during the night, and seems to be hungry! He doesn't just suckle and go back to sleep. He wants the full meal. I am feeding him almost every two hours and it is wearing me down. What did you all do with your babies? He'll be 6 months old next week. He is starting to crawl around and starting to eat a little bit of rice cereal. He is just the cutest guy who loves his family so much. He just lights up when someone walks into the room, and that of course makes him all the more endearing to us!

1 comment:

Melonie said...

I just love reading your blog! You are so honest in your thoughts. I think that is awesome. I wish we hung out more together. :) I have a book you can borrow that hopefully will help give you some tips to getting Lachlan to sleep through the night. That is the worst! Momma needs her sleep. Hope you had a fun weekend!