Monday, February 2, 2009

Genetics & Family History

For those of you who know my husband, you will see the striking resemblance from him to the man in this photo. All these years I have been married to my husband he has told me how he takes after his mother's side of the family.. looking the most like his mother's father. This picture was discovered last week after his paternal grandfather passed away and proves the opposite. This is a picture of Abram's great-great grandfather and the resemblance is uncannily similar. It is truly amazing!
The man's name is William Joseph. (Abram was actually named after him, ironically enough, with the middle name of William) We believe the smallest boy was Abram's great grandfather, named John Raymond. He had a son named George who had a son, Richard, who had a son; Abram. Neither Richard nor Abram had ever seen this picture before.
William Joseph's wife died in childbirth after the daughter was born, and soon after the family moved from Missouri to Idaho. There isn't any info about him remarrying.
I find it quite remarkable that these genes could be recessive for 3 generations and then manifest themselves again in my husband. Very cool, me thinks. :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, uncanny indeed. I can't imagine a father raising 5 kids alone, especially back in the day

Niki said...

Wow, that is amazing!