Monday, February 23, 2009

Pride & Vanity

This afternoon Aisling went out to catch the bus for kindergarten. She was wearing a thin, poufy skirt and I asked her if she was warm enough. She said yes at first, but then as the wind continued to blow around her bare legs, she decided she was cold. I ran upstairs and grabbed a pair of pants and ran back down as fast as I could, but as I reached the door I could see the bus had arrived. I am very ashamed to say I did not run out to give my daughter some pants so she wouldn't freeze at recess. The reason is since I was doing laundry and cleaning this morning, I had decided not to get dressed 'til I could take a shower this afternoon. Normally I would jut be wearing stretch pants and a hoodie, but my sister-in-law gave me a pair of pajamas last night. These are bright blue pjs with bright yellow rubber duckies all over them. I was just TOO embarrassed for the bus driver to see me run out in these ridiculous pajamas so I stayed inside, behind the door and waited for the bus to leave. I felt so bad for my poor little girl, out in that bitter wind with nothing on her legs. I tried consoling myself with the self-righteous thoughts of, "I TOLD her to wear pants today, I TOLD her it was too cold to wear a skirt. I guess she'll learn her lesson." But the truth is I feel more bad towards myself for being too prideful to run out and giver her the pants. It was a revelation of my true nature. I, who so often have judged others too ashamed to go out without their make-up on, refused to be seen by some old guy bus driver with my greasy hair and rubber ducky jammies. Why should I care about his opinion over the comfort of my daughter? I am so ashamed.
Mine are about 20x brighter than these!
Have you let your vanity get the better of you?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am surprised!

wannabee free said...

In my defense, Aisling had already gotten on the bus when I came back down. I would have run out if she was still standing there. I just couldn't make a scene, running after her as the bus door shut and started driving away. I really can't stand making a scene!

Niki said...

Don't beat yourself up over that, you're a terrific mommy!

williamsfam5 said...

It's better you let her learn the natural consequence of her own vanity. :) You are a lovely mother!