Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

Will Punxutawny Phil see his shadow? Is anyone really holding their breath on this one? When I was little I never understood (and really it is a mystery today) why if he saw his shadow it meant 6 more weeks of winter. It seems to me, that if the sun is out, it should mean we get an early spring. Nonetheless, I've given up hoping he might not see his shadow, because I believe he has every year as long as I can remember. Nowadays I understand we actually need the winter (snow) for the good of all people. Since we live in a desert and the farmers and homeowners rely upon the water for survival, I hope for the next 6 weeks to be very snowy and wintery. But after that, Welcome spring!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Groundhog's day is a sham. There's some scientific way of determining the 6-more weeks of winter thing in advance, much like we know ahead of time when leap-year is.

I'm with you on not understanding why the sun being out means more winter, but maybe it is related to global warming making it so cold the past year...